A law to enforce the rights and advance the welfare of the child, and to amend and consolidate all Legislations relating to the protection and welfare of the child in Lagos state and for other connected and incidental purposes.
COMMENCEMENT (28th May 2007)
THE LAGOS STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY enacts as follows:
Interest of a Child
Protection and Care of a Child
2.—(1) A child shall be given protection and care as necessary for the wellbeing of the child, taking into consideration the rights and duties of the child’s parents, legal guardians, individuals, institutions, services, agencies, organisations or bodies legally responsible for the child.
(2) Every person, institution, service, agency, organisation and body responsible for the care or protection of children shall conform with the standards laid down by the appropriate authorities, particularly in the areas of safety, health, welfare, and suitability of their staff and competent supervision.
Right to survival
Right to name
4.—(1) Every child has the right to a name and, accordingly, shall be given a name on his birth or on such other date as is dictated by the culture of his parents or guardians.
(2) The birth of every child shall be registered.
Freedom of Association and Peaceful Assembly
Freedom of Thought, Conscience and Religion
6.—(1) Every child has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.
(2) Parents and, where applicable, legal guardians shall provide guidance and direction in the exercise of these rights having regard to the evolving capacities and best interest of the child.
(3) The duty of parents and, where applicable, legal guardians to provide guidance and direction in the enjoyment of the right in subsection (1) of this Section by their child or ward shall be respected by all Persons, Bodies, Institutions and Authorities.
(4) Whenever the fostering, custody, guardianship or adoption of a child is in issue, the right of the child on how to practise his religion shall be of paramount consideration.
Right to a Private Home and Family Life
7.—(1) Every child is entitled to his privacy, family life, home, correspondence, telephone conversation and telegraphic communications.
(2) No child shall be subjected to any interference with his right in subsection (1) of this Section.
(3) Nothing in the provisions of subsections (1) and (2) of this Section shall affect the rights of parents and legal guardians, to exercise reasonable supervision and control over the conduct of their children and wards.
Right to Freedom of Movement
8.—(1) Every child is entitled to freedom of movement in conformity with the law.
(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this Section shall affect the right of a parent, and where applicable, a legal guardian or other appropriate authority to exercise control over the movement of the child in the interest of the education, safety and welfare of the child.
Right to Freedom from Discrimination
9.—(1) A child shall not be subjected to any form of discrimination merely by reason of his parents belonging to a particular community or ethnic group or by reason of his place of origin, sex, religion or political opinion.
(2) No child shall be subjected to any disability or deprivation merely by reason of the circumstances of his birth or that of his parents.
Right to the Dignity of the Child
(a) subjected to physical, mental or emotional injury, abuse, neglect or maltreatment, including sexual abuse;
(b) subjected to torture, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment;
(c) subjected to attacks upon his honour or reputation; or
(d) held in slavery or servitude, while in the care of a parent, legal guardian or school authority or any other person having authority for the care of the child…
|READ MORE||DOWNLOAD (PDF-N2,000/WORD-2000)|
LAWS OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA
|The Constitution||National Legislations||Treaties of the Federation|
|State Laws||Court Rules||Court Judgments|
|Food & Agriculture||Energy & Environment||Healthcare|
|Transport (Road, Rail, Air, Water)||Education||Housing & Infrastructure|
|Security & Law Enforcement||Science & Technology||Family, Youth & Child|
|Government & Elections||Taxation & Revenue||Economic & Commercial|
|MDA Regulations||SON Standards||Executive Orders|
|Nig. Nuclear Reg. Auth., NNRA||NAFDAC||NESREA|
|Dept of Pet. Res. DPR||Securities & Exchange Comm., SEC||NERC|
|Fed. Inland Rev. Service, FIRS||Fed. Road Safety Corps., FRSC||Central Bank of Nigeria, FBN|
|Nig. Communications Comm., NCC1||Nig. Broadcasting Comm., NBC||Nig. Copyright Comm., NCC2|
|Bio-Chemical and Bio-Safety||Service & Quality||Other Standards|