DOWNLOAD OF A COPY OF THIS LAW IS AVAILABLE [N2,000 (PDF)] CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE PAYMENT. PDF COMPENDIUMS OF ALL THE LAWS OF NIGERIA, LAGOS AND OTHER STATES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org or info@lawnigeria or Text/WhatsApp +23407067102097
NATIONAL COMMITTEE ON GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
NATIONAL COMMITTEE ON GEOGRAPHICAL NAMES ACT
An Act to establish a National Committee on Geographical Names, with duties among others of standardising procedure for naming or renaming of geographical features; and to provide for the establishment of a similar Committee for each State of the Federation.
[See section 11 (2)]
There is hereby established a body to be known as the National Committee on Geographical Names (in this Act referred to as “the National Committee”), which shall have the functions assigned to it by this Act.
(1) The National Committee shall comprise the Surveyor-General of the Federation as the chairman and the following other members, that is to say-
(a) the Surveyor-General of each State of the Federation;
(b) one representative of the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development;
(c) one representative of the Federal Ministry of Water Resources;
(d) one representative of the Geological Survey Department in the Federal Ministry of Solid Minerals Development;
(e) one representative of the Nigerian Postal Service;
(f) one representative of the Political Department in the Presidency;
(g) the Director of Army Surveys;
(h) the Director of the National Library of Nigeria;
(i) the Director of National Archives;
(j) two representatives each of-
(i) the Department of Geography in any two Nigerian Universities;
(ii) the Department of Survey in any other two Nigerian Universities;
(iii) the Department of Linguistics and Anthropology in any two Nigerian Universities;
(k) a representative of the Department of History in any Nigerian University;
(l) a representative of the National Population Commission;
(m) two other members to represent other interests, not otherwise represented.
(2) The Minister shall appoint the members specified in paragraphs (b), (c), (d), (e), (i), (j), (k), (l) and (m) of subsection (1) of this section, after consultation with the appropriate authorities or bodies.
The functions of the National Committee shall be to—
(a) develop principles, policies and procedures governing the use of geographical names;
(b) standardise the procedure for naming or renaming geographical features within national and State boundaries;
(c) receive proposals, when necessary, for the treatment of names from government agencies and committees, private organisations and individuals for consideration and approval;
(d) approve, establish and maintain uniform geographical names usage throughout the country; and
(e) prepare a Gazette of place names for the Federation and the States.
(1) There shall be established a Secretariat for the National Committee.
(2) There shall be appointed by the Minister from the public service of the Federation, a Secretary who shall be the chief executive of the National Committee and have such qualifications and experience as are appropriate for the person required to perform
the functions of that office by virtue of this Act.
(3) The Department of Survey Federal Ministry of Works shall provide such supporting staff as may be required to assist the Secretary in the execution of the functions of the National Committee under this Act.
(4) All officers of the National Committee shall be members of the public service of the Federation, within the meaning of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999.
(1) There shall be established for each State of the Federation, a State Committee on Geographical Names (in this Act referred to as “the State Committee”).
(2) The State Committee shall comprise the following, that is-
(a) the Surveyor-General of the State, who shall be chairman;
(b) the secretary to each local government council; and
(c) a representative of the Political Department, Governor’s Office.
(1) The State Committee shall meet at such times and places, as the chairman of the State Committee or the Minister may direct, but in any case, not less than once a year for the purpose of-
(a) co-ordinating the place-naming activities at the State and local government levels, in accordance with the guidelines issued by the National Committee; and
(b) submitting recommendations for place naming to the National Committee for consideration and approval.
(2) The quorum for every meeting of the State Committee shall be six.
(1) The National Committee shall establish and maintain a fund, from which shall be defrayed all expenditure reasonably incurred by the National Committee in the execution of its functions under this Act.
(2) There shall be paid and credited to the fund established pursuant to subsection (1) of this section, such monies as may, in every year, be approved by the Federal Government for the purposes of the National Committee.
(1) The National Committee shall meet at such times and places as the Minister may direct, but in any case not less than once a year.
(2) The quorum for meetings of the National Committee shall be ten.
(3) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the National Committee may regulate its own proceedings.
(4) A member of the National Committee other than an ex-officio member shall hold office for a term of four years and shall be eligible for reappointment.
The Minister may make regulations for the purposes of carrying out or giving effect to the provisions of this Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
“Minister” means the Minister charged with responsibility for matters relating to works;
“National Committee” means the National Committee on Geographical Names established by section 1 of this Act;
“State Committee” means the State Committee on Geographical Names established by section 5 of this Act.
(1) This Act may be cited as the National Committee on Geographical Names Act.
(2) This Act shall come into force on such day as the Minister may by order published in the Federal Gazette appoint.
No Subsidiary Legislation