DOWNLOAD OF A COPY OF THIS LAW IS AVAILABLE [N1,500 (PDF)] CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE PAYMENT. PDF COMPENDIUMS OF ALL THE LAWS OF NIGERIA, LAGOS AND OTHER STATES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE. EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org or info@lawnigeria or Text/WhatsApp +23407067102097
AGRICULTURAL AND RURAL MANAGEMENT TRAINING INSTITUTE ACT, 1980
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
|1||Establishment of the Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute||2||Governing Board of the Institute, etc|
|3||Functions of the Institute||4||The Director of the Institute and other staff|
|5||Service in the Institute to be pensionable||6||Financial provisions|
|7||Power to accept gifts||8||Borrowing power|
|9||Annual estimates, accounts and audit||10||Annual report|
|11||Staff regulations||12||Procedure in respect of suits against the Institute, etc|
|13||Service of documents||14||Restriction on execution against the property of the Institute|
|15||Power to give directions||16||Interpretation|
An Act to establish a training organization known as the Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute to provide, among other things, detailed identification of management training needs in agricultural and rural development organizations throughout Nigeria, and to develop and implement training programmes to meet the needs of managers in the agricultural and rural development sector of the economy.
COMMENCEMENT: [1st February, 1980]
Establishment of the Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute
(2) The Institute shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and may sue and be sued in its corporate name.
Governing Board of the Institute, etc.
(2) The Board shall consists of—
(a) a chairman and two other members to be appointed by the President;
(b) the Director of the Institute;
(c) the Federal Director of Agriculture and Rural Development;
(d) one representative to be chosen from the University of Ilorin, Ahmadu Bello University or University of Nigeria, Nsukka, in rotation by the National Universities Commission;
(e) a representative of the Kwara State Polytechnic.
(3) Subject to subsection (4) of this section, a person appointed as a member of the Board (not being an ex-officio member) shall hold office for three years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further period of three years.
(4) The President may terminate the appointment of a member of the Board (not being an ex-officio member) if satisfied that it is not in the interest of the Institute that the person concerned should continue in office.
(5) Any member of the Board (not being an ex-officio member) may by notice in writing under his hand addressed to the Minister resign his office.
(6) The supplementary provisions contained in the Schedule to this Act shall have effect with respect to the proceedings of the Board and the other matters therein mentioned.
Functions of the Institute
(a) provide detailed identification of management training needs in agricultural organizations and of technical employees in the rural sector of the economy and develop training programmes to meet these needs;
(b) carry out training of students in areas identified in paragraph (a) of this subsection;
(c) establish a residential campus at Ilorin and such other place as may be decided by the Board;
(d) establish an audio-visual production unit which shall produce suitable teaching support materials;
(e) promote or undertake any other activity that in the opinion of the Board is calculated to help achieve the purposes of the Institute.
(2) The Institute shall ensure that the training approach to be followed at the Institute shall be highly job-specific and practical and shall utilize modern methods of management skills development usually utilized by similar establishments in order to attain the highest standards.
The Director of the Institute and other staff
(2) The Director shall be the chief executive of the Institute and shall be responsible to the Board for the day-to-day management of the affairs of the Institute.
(3) The Director shall hold office for a fixed term of four years, subject to renewal by the President for only one more term of the same duration.
(4) There may be appointed, from time to time, by the Board such other staff as may be required for the purpose of the efficient performance of the functions conferred on the Institute under or pursuant to this Act.
Service in the Institute to be pensionable
(2) There shall be paid and credited to the fund established pursuant to subsection (1) of this section-
(a) such sums as may be provided by the Government of the Federation;
(b) fees charged for services rendered by the Institute; and
(c) all sums accruing to the Institute by way of gifts, testamentary disposition and endowments or contributions from philanthropic persons or organizations or otherwise howsoever.
Power to accept gifts
(2) The Institute shall not accept any gift if the conditions attached by the person or organization making the gift to the acceptance thereof are inconsistent with the functions of the Institute.
(2) The Institute may, subject to the provisions of this Act and the conditions of any trust created in respect of any property, invest all or any of its funds with the like consent or general authority.
(3) The Board may invest any surplus funds of the Institute in such securities as may be approved by the President.
Annual estimates accounts and audit
(2) The Board shall cause to be kept proper accounts of the Institute and proper records in relation thereto and when certified by the Board such accounts shall be audited as provided in subsection (3) of this section.
(3) The accounts of the Institute shall be audited as soon as may be after the end of each year.
(a) the appointment, promotion and disciplinary control (including dismissal) of employees of the Institute; and
(b) appeals by such employees against dismissal or other disciplinary measure, and until such regulations are made, any instrument relating to the conditions of service of officers in the civil service of the Federation shall be applicable, with such modifications as may be necessary, to the employees of the Institute.
(2) Staff regulations made under subsection (1) or this section, shall not have effect until approved by the Minister and when so approved they need not be published in the Federal Gazette but the Board shall cause them to be brought to the notice of all affected persons in such manner as it may, from time to time, determine.
Procedure in respect of suits against the Institute, etc.
(a) the cause of action;
(b) the particulars of the claim;
(c) the name and place of abode of the intending plaintiff; and
(d) the relief which he claims.
Service of documents
Restriction on execution against the property of the Institute
Power to give directions
“Board” means the Board of Governors of the Institute constituted as provided in section 2(1) of this Act;
“Chairman” means the chairman of the Board;
“Director” means the Director of the Institute;
“Institute” means the Agricultural and Rural Management Training Institute established by section 1 of this Act;
“Member” means any member of the Board and includes the chairman;
“Minister” means the Minister charged with responsibility for Agriculture.
[Section 2 (6.]
PROCEEDINGS OFTHE BOARD
(2) The quorum of the Board shall be the chairman and four other members, and the quorum of any committee of the Board shall be determined by the Board.
(2) At any meeting of the Board, the Chairman shall preside but if he is absent the members present at the meeting shall appoint one of their members to preside at that meeting.
(3) Where the Board desires to obtain the advice of any person on a particular matter, the Board may co-opt him as a member for such period but such person shall not be entitled to vote at any meeting of the Board and shall not count towards the quorum.
(2) A committee appointed under this paragraph shall consist of such number of persons (not necessarily all members of the Board) as may be determined by the Board; and a person other than a member of the Board shall hold office on the committee in accordance with the terms of his appointment.
(2) Any contract or instrument which, if made or executed by a person not being a body corporate, would not be required to be under seal may be made or executed on behalf of the Institute by the Director or any person generally or specially authorized to act for that purpose by the Board.
(3) Any document purporting to be a document duly executed under the seal of the Institute shall be received in evidence and shall, unless the contrary is proved, be presumed to be so executed.
No Subsidiary Legislation