DOWNLOAD OF A COPY OF THIS LAW IS AVAILABLE [N1,500 (PDF)] CLICK HERE FOR ONLINE PAYMENT. PDF COMPENDIUMS OF ALL THE LAWS OF NIGERIA, LAGOS AND OTHER STATES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE. EMAIL: email@example.com or info@lawnigeria or Text/WhatsApp +23407067102097
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
An Act to establish the Co-operative Development Division in the Federal Ministry of Employment, Labour and Productivity; to establish a National Advisory Council to advise the Minister on matters relating to Co-operative Development.
COMMENCEMENT [15th February, 1974]
(1) There shall be established as an integral part of the Federal Ministry of Employment, Labour and Productivity a division to be known as the Co-operative Development Division (in this Act referred to as “the Division”).
(2) The Division shall exercise the functions relating to the development of co-operatives specified in section 2 of this Act and such other functions as may be specified, from time to time, by the Minister.
(3) The Division shall consist of a Federal Registrar of Co-operative Societies and such other supporting staff as may be required for the purposes of the performance of the duties of the Division.
(4) All the officers of the Division shall be members of the public service of the Federation (within the meaning of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria).
The Division shall, subject to this Act, be charged with responsibility for the following matters-
(a) co-ordination of inter-governmental and inter-State co-operative activities;
(b) formulation of broad national economic policy for co-operative development and financing, and the integration of co-operative policies into national development plans;
(c) supervision of national co-operative societies and the implementation of development policies relating to national co-operative projects;
(d) disbursement of Federal and foreign assistance to the Nigerian co-operative movement;
(e) liaison with Federal economic institutions and representation of co-operative interests at inter-ministerial meetings;
(f) relations on co-operative matters with central labour organisations and similar bodies especially in matters relating to jointly sponsored welfare schemes;
(g) co-ordination or research into co-operative problems;
(h) compilation of information on all matters relating to co-operative development;
(i) co-ordination of publicity on co-operative matters and preparation of reports on co-operative development in Nigeria;
(j) inter-African and other international co-operative matters, including relations with international co-operative organisations and specialised agencies of the United Nations Organisation;
(k) co-operative education and training at the national level and relating with appropriate Nigerian and foreign educational institutions;
(l) organisation of national and international conferences and seminars on co-operative matters including visits by representatives of foreign co-operative societies and bodies; and
(m) the National Advisory Council for Co-operative Development.
(1) There shall also be established a body to be known as the National Advisory Council for Co-operative Development (in this Act referred to as “the Council”) which shall meet, from time to time, for the purpose of deliberating on matters relating to co-operative development and tendering advice thereon to the Minister.
(2) The Council shall consist of the following-
(a) the Federal Registrar of Co-operative Societies;
(b) State Registrars of Co-operative Societies;
(c) one representative of each State apex of Co-operative Societies;
(d) one representative of the national apex of Co-operative Societies;
(e) one representative of the Federal apex of Co-operative Societies;
(f) four persons with experience or qualifications in co-operative matters.
(3) In subsection (2) of this section, reference to-
(a) the Federal apex of Co-operative Societies is a reference to an organisation representing the interests of co-operatives in a particular functional sector; and
(b) the national apex of Co-operative Societies is a reference to an organisation representing the interest of co-operative societies irrespective of their sphere of operation.
(4) Appointments under paragraphs (c), (d), (e) and (f) of subsection (2) of this section shall be made by the Minister.
(5) Members of the Council appointed under paragraphs (c), (d), (e) and (f) of subsection (2) of this section shall each hold office for such period, not being less than twelve months, as the instrument of appointment may provide.
(6) The Council shall meet at such times and places as the Minister may direct.
(7) The quorum for meetings of the Council shall be ten.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
“Council” means the National Advisory Council for Co-operative Development established by section 2 of this Act;
“Division” means the Co-operative Development Division established by section 1 of this Act;
“Minister” means the Minister of Employment, Labour and Productivity.
This Act may be cited as the Co-operative Development Act.
CO-OPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT ACT
No Subsidiary Legislation
ALPHABETICAL INDEX TO THE LAWS OF NIGERIA (UPDATED TO 2018)