[We provide free online access to documents published on LawNigeria.com. Electronic PDF copy of this document is available for N1,000 . Electronic compendium (PDF) of the whole laws of Nasarawa is available. Click HERE or Email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com or text/call +234 706 7102 097 to order]
NASARAWA STATE CO-OPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT AGENCY LAW
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
PART III – MANAGEMENT AND STAFF OF THE AGENCY
PART IV – FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
NASARAWA STATE CO-OPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT AGENCY LAW
A LAW TO PROVIDE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE NASARAWA STATE COOPERATIVE DEVELOPMENT AGENCY
Citation and commencement
Establishment of Agency
(2) There is hereby established for the Agency a Board to be known as the Nasarawa State Cooperative Development Agency Board of Directors (hereinafter referred to as “The Board”).
(3) The Board:
(a) Shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal.
(b) Shall be capable of acquiring, holding and disposing of any property, whether movable or immovable.
(c) May sue and be sued in its corporate name; and
(d) Capable of performing all the functions of the Agency and do or carry out all acts or things which the Agency is by this Law, or may, by any other law, be required to do or carry out.
(4) The members of the Board of the Agency shall be appointed on such terms and conditions as the Governor may deem fit in the circumstances.
Functions of the Agency
(i) Coordinate the activities of all primary cooperative societies in the State.
(ii) Provision of financial backing for the development of cooperative programmes in the State.
(iii) Sourcing of micro credit facilities both in cash/kind for on lending to registered groups.
(iv) Solicit for Government grants and patronage to augment the effort of cooperative societies.
(v) Ensure that campaign strategies on cooperative finances are adopted with a view to sensitizing the populace on their roles and duties.
(vi) To uphold all sources for cooperative finances such as shares, entrance fee, levies, grants, donations etc.
(vii) Procurement/distribution of all inputs to farmers organizations as at when due.
Board of Directors
(a) A part-time Chairman
(b) The General Manager of the Agency
(c) A representative of each of the following Ministries:
(d) One representative of the Farmers’ Cooperative Union from each of the three Senatorial Districts of the State.
(2) Any seven members including the Chairman of the Board or any other person acting in that behalf shall form a quorum at any meeting of the Board.
Qualification, disqualification of Members of the Agency
(i) All Board members must be citizens of Nasarawa State.
(ii) The Chairman should have relevant professional experiences and must have achieved reputable position in his career.
(iii) Board members must be knowledgeable individuals preferable with a sound related professional background whose abilities and experiences will compliment the functions of the Board.
(2) No person shall be qualified to be member of the Board who:
(a) Has been adjudged or otherwise declared:
(i) A bankrupt under any Law in force in Nigeria and has not been discharged; or
(ii) Liable to pay certain amount of money by court of competent jurisdiction and is unable to do so within 30 days of such declaration.
(iii) To be unsound mind, or
(b) Is detained as a criminal or lunatic under any law for the time being in force in Nigeria.
(c) Has been convicted:
(i) For an offence involving the security of the State, fraud, dishonest or moral turpitude; or
(ii) For any other offence, and has not been granted a free pardon; or
(d) Has been found by the report of a Commission or a Committee of Inquiry of whom the Commission or Committee of Inquiry has found that while being a public officer has acquired assets unlawfully or defrauded the State or misused or abused his office or willfully acted in a manner prejudicial to the interest of the State; and such findings have not been set aside on appeal or judicial review; or
(e) Has had property confiscated as a result of findings of a Commission; or
(f) Is under sentence imposed upon him by any court.
(3) Without prejudice to the provisions of Subsection (1) of this Section, any member of the Board shall cease to be a member if:
(a) He is absent from three consecutive meetings of the Board without sufficient reason.
(b) In the case of a person possessed of professional qualification, he is disqualified from practice of his profession in Nigeria by order of any competent authority made in respect of him personally.
(4) Where the Board is satisfied that the continued presence on the Board or any member is not in the interest of the Board as a result of any act or misconduct certified by any panel of enquiry, it may recommend to the Governor that the member concerned be removed from his office; and if the Governor, after making such enquiry as he considers necessary, approve of the recommendations, he may in writing declare the office of the member vacant.
Tenure of office of Members of the Agency
(2) of this Section, hold office for a term of four years, and may be eligible for reappointment for another term of four years, and no more.
(2) A Member may at anytime resign his office in writing addressed to the Governor.
(3) The Governor may revoke the appointment of a member if the Governor is satisfied that such member:
(a) Is incapacitated by physical and mental illness from performing his functions as a member; or
(b) Is otherwise unable or unfit to discharge the functions of a member.
(4) The Chairman of the Agency shall notify the Governor of all vacancies occurring in the membership of the Agency, through the Ministry of Cooperatives and Community Development.
(5) Where any member of the Agency is incapacitated by illness or any other cause from performing the functions of this office, the Governor may appoint another person to act in his office until the member is able to resume the performance of his functions.
Emoluments of Members of the Agency
Meeting of Board
(2) The Chairman shall upon the request in writing signed by not less than four members of the Board summon a special meeting of the Board within fourteen days on receipt of such request.
(3) At every meeting of the Board, the Chairman shall preside and in his absence, the Members present shall elect a person from among their number to preside at that meeting.
(4) Every question coming before the Board at any meeting shall be decided by a simple majority of the votes, of the members present and voting; and in case of an equality of votes, the Chairman or the other person presiding shall have a second or casting vote.
(5) The quorum for any meeting of the Board shall be seven including the Chairman or the other person presiding.
(6) The Board may at any time co-opt any person or persons to attend any of its meetings, but no person so co-opted shall be entitled to vote at any such meetings on any matter for decision by the Board.
(7) A member of the Board shall not partake in any way directly or indirectly in any contract or transaction or project of the Board.
(8) Any member who infringes Subsection (7) of this Section shall be liable to be removed from the Board.
(9) The validity of the proceedings of the Agency shall not be affected:
(a) By any vacancy among its members or by any defect in the appointment of any of them; or
(c) By inadvertent error in addressing it or failure in the delivery thereof.
(10) Except as otherwise expressly provided under this Section, and subject to this Law, the Agency may make orders for the purpose of regulating its own procedure.
(a) As to the initiation, execution, administration or progress of any Project, scheme or activity which the Agency may undertake or in which it may participate; or
(b) For any other purpose whether general or specific relating to the functions of the Agency is better regulated or managed by means of a Committee.
(2) The Agency may on such terms and conditions as it may think fit delegate to a committee appointed under sub-section(1) of this section, except that such delegation shall not include:
(3) The composition, tenure of office and remuneration of members of the Committee appointed pursuant to Subsection (1) of this Section shall be determined by the Board.
(4) Committee appointed under Subsection (1) of this Section may include persons who are not members or officers or employees of the Board, but who possess such special qualification or experience as in the opinion of the Board shall prove beneficial to the work of the Committee.
Power of the Agency
(a) Source funds through shares and entrance fees contribution by all expected affiliates.
(b) Borrow funds for on lending to registered groups from Development Banks/other finance institutions.
(c) Accept grants and soft loan from Government for production purposes.
(d) The power of the Agency in discharging (a), (b) and (c) above shall have the approval of the Governor through the Ministry.
(e) Encourage business linkages/collaborative and effort between the Cooperatives and other Government related Agencies.
(f) Encourage inter-State trade programmes.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of Subsection (1) of this Section, the Agency shall:
(a) Carry out such investigation as are for the proper take off of its operations.
(b) Enter into such contracts as may be necessary, advantageous or expedient for the performance of its functions.
(c) Enter into agreement with any person or:
(i) Make, draw, accept or endorse any negotiable instruments.
(ii) Accept, acquire or hold any kind of security.
(iii) Surrender, transfer or assign any securities held by the Agency whether upon exchange for another security or upon discharge.
PART III – MANAGEMENT AND STAFF OF THE AGENCY
(2) Responsible for organizational and operational decisions of the Agency.
(3) Responsible for promoting efficiency and discipline of all staff matters; and
(4) Any other responsibilities that may assigned to him by the Governor.
[Appointment of General Manager]
(a) Administration and Finance
(b) Agriculture Department
(c) Small and Medium Enterprises (SME) Department
(d) Business Development Department
[Responsibilities of General Manager]
[Power of Agency to engage Employees and Consultants]
(2) The Agency shall engage the services of consultants to advise as the Agency may determine.
(3) The Board shall be responsible for the appointment, promotion and discipline of officers and employees of the Agency.
(4) Subject to the provisions of this Law, the officers, employees and advisers of the Agency who are on Grade level 07 to 17 and subject to the approval of the Government in respect of officers on Grade Level 13 and above, shall be engaged on such terms and conditions as the Agency may determine.
(5) Where the Agency require, its public officers may be transferred or seconded to the Agency.
(6) The Management of the Agency may terminate the employment of any of its employees as a result of non performance of duties, continued lateness of absenteeism, insubordination, consumption of alcohol or drugs on duty, or actions detrimental to the operations of the Agency. The termination of Senior Management Staff must be approved by the Board.
PART IV – FINANCIAL PROVISIONS
Revenue Resources Agency
(a) All funds, assets, resources, undertakings and such rights and interests as the Agency may from time to time acquire.
(b) Such sums as may from time to time be lent, granted or appropriated to the Agency by the Government, Federal Government of Nigeria or any other Government institutions; or Donor Agency.
(c) All properties and investments acquired by or vested in the Agency and all monies dividends and other benefits derived, earned, or arising thereform.
(d) All sums from time to time received by or falling due to the Agency in respect of the repayment of any loan or advance made by the Agency.
(e) All charges, rates, rent and other payments accruing to the Agency for the services it renders; and
(f) All other sums of money or properties which may in any manner become payable to, or vested in the Agency in respect of any matter incidental to its functions and powers under this Law.
(2) (a) The Board shall prepare a detailed estimates of its income and expenditure for the following financial year and submit for an approval to the State Government.
(b) The expenditure of the Board shall be in accordance with the estimate approved by the Government.
(c) The Agency may have bank accounts in such banks as the Board may determine.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Law, the Internal Auditor shall be responsible to the General Manager for the performance of his functions.
(3) As part of his functions under this Law, the Internal Auditor shall at intervals of three months prepare a report on the work carried out by him during the period of three months immediately preceding the preparation of the report and submit the report to the General Manager who shall convene a meeting of the Agency as soon as possible to discuss the Internal Auditor’s report.
(4) The Internal Auditor’s report shall cover the financial transactions of the Agency.
(5) Without prejudice to the general effect of Subsection (3) of this Section, the Internal Auditor shall make in each report such observations as appear to him necessary as to the conduct of the financial affairs of the Agency during the period to which the report relates.
(6) The Internal Auditor shall send a copy of each report prepared by him under this Section to the Governor and also to each of the following:
(a) The Commissioner responsible for Finance.
(b) The Commissioner responsible for Commerce and Industry.
(c) The State Auditor General; and
(d) The Chairman of the Agency.
Personal immunity of members, agents
Restrictions on suit against the Agency
“Agency” means the Cooperative Development Agency.
“Board” means Cooperative Development Agency Board of Directors.
“Commissioner” means the Commissioner of the Ministry of Commerce and Industry.
“Governor” means the Governor of Nasarawa State.
“Ministry” means the Ministry for Commerce and Industry.
This printed impression has been carefully compared by me with the Bill, which has been passed by the Nasarawa State House of Assembly and is found by me to be true and correct copy of the Bill.
MOSES A. ONDAKI
Clerk of the House
Nasarawa State House of Assembly
I ASSENTED THIS 14TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 2005.
ALHAJI ABDULLAHI ADAMU
Nasarawa State of Nigeria
Find other laws of Nasarawa State, Nigeria HERE