[We provide free online access to documents published on LawNigeria.com. Electronic PDF copy of this document is available for N1,000 . Electronic compendium (PDF) of the whole laws of Nasarawa is available. Click HERE or Email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call +234 706 7102 097 to order]
NASARAWA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY SERVICE COMMISSION LAW 2010
LAWS OF NASARAWA STATE OF NIGERIA
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
NASARAWA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY SERVICE COMMISSION LAW 2010
A LAW FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE NASARAWA STATE HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY SERVICE COMMISSION AND OTHER RELATED MATTERS THERETO
ENACTED by the Nasarawa State House of Assembly and by the authority of same as follows:
Citation and Commencement
“Chairman” Means the person appointed under section 6(1) of this Law.
“Commission” means the Nasarawa State House of Assembly Service Commission.
“Governor” Means the Governor of Nasarawa State.
“House” means the Nasarawa State House of Assembly.
“Member” means a member of the Commission and includes the Chairman.
“Staff” means the staff of both the Nasarawa State House of Assembly and that of the Commission.
“State” means Nasarawa State of Nigeria.
Establishment of Commission
(2) The Commission shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and shall have power to sue and be sued in its corporate name
[Membership of the Commission]
(2) At least one of the permanent members and one of the part-time members shall be appointed from each of the three Senatorial Districts of the State
Qualification of Members
5 (1) No person shall be qualified for the appointment as a member of the Commission if he is not qualified to be elected as a member of Nasarawa State House of Assembly.
(2) Any person employed in the Public Service of the State shall not be disqualified for appointment as the Chairman of the Commission
(3) Where such a person has been duly appointed on full – time basis, he shall, on his appointment as the Chairman be deemed to have resigned or retired from his former appointment.
Appointment, Removal & Resignation
S.6.(1)The Chairman and other members shall be appointed by the Governor subject to confirmation by the House of Assembly.
(2) The Chairman to be appointed shall be a seasoned administrator.
(3) A member may resign his appointment at any time before the expiration of four years by forwarding a letter of resignation to the Governor.
(3) The Governor may appoint any suitable person to fill in the vacancy that may occur as a result of resignation, removal or death of a member subject to confirmation by the House of Assembly.
(4) Subject to confirmation by the House of Assembly, the Governor may appoint any suitable person to replace a member who due to ill health cannot perform his functions.
(5) Any appointment under sub-sections (4) and (5) of this sections must be from the same Senatorial District of the earlier member.
Tenure Of members
S.7 The Chairman and other Members shall hold Office for a one term period of five years.
Removal From Office
S.9 The remunerations payable to members of the Commission shall be determined by the Governor subject to the approval of the House of Assembly.
Functions of The Commission
(a) Formulate and implement guidelines for its functions;
(b) Make appointments into the following offices:-
(i) The Clerk-to-the-House of Assembly’
(ii) The Deputy Clerk-to-the-House of Assembly’
(iii) All other offices in the Service of the House of Assembly which shall cut across all cadres as set out in the Schedule to this Law.
(c) Appointment into the Office of the Clerk and Deputy Clerk shall be done in consultation with the House and the Officers shall have minimum of five years requisite experience in legislative practice and procedure.
(2) The Commission may:-
(a) Appoint, promote, transfer, confirm such appointments; and
(b) Exercise disciplinary control over persons holding or acting in such offices.
(3) Where the Commission deems it expedient that any vacancy in the staff of the House should be filled by a person holding office in the Civil Service of the State, it may after consultations with the Civil Service Commission cause such vacancy to be filled by way of secondment or transfer.
(4) A person seconded pursuant to sub-section (3) of this section may elect, subject to the approval of the Commission, to be transferred to the Service of the House, in which case any previous Service shall count as Service for the purpose of pension payable by the Commission.
(5) Any Member of staff of the State House may elect to transfer or be seconded to any other Public Service of the State and such right of transfer or secondment shall not operate to the disadvantage of the Officer concerned.
Functions of the Chairman
S.11 The Chairman shall be the Head of the Commission
S.12 The Commission may appoint Committees from among its Members to carry out certain functions as the Commission may determine but no decision of any such committee shall have effect until ratified by the Commission.
Protection of members
Privilege of the Commission
Appointments Of Secretary and functions
15 1) The Governor shall appoint a Secretary to the Commission who shall a person be with sound professional and administrative experience in the public or private sector.
2) The Secretary shall keep all minutes of the Commission’s meeting and shall summon all meetings whenever directed by the Chairman.
3) The Secretary shall be of equivalent rank of a permanent secretary and shall be the Accounting Officer of the Commission.
Meeting and Quorum
2) Any permanent member may convene a meeting of the commission if the Chairman is unable to do so due to ill health, leave or is unavoidable absent.
3) The Chairman if present shall preside over all meetings of the Commission.
4) In the absence of the Chairman from a meeting, a permanent member so appointed by other members shall preside.
5) The quorum for any meeting of the Commission shall be four members.
6) Any matter presented before the Commission for decision shall be decided by the vote of a simple majority of the members present, and in the event of any equal votes, the Chairman or member presiding shall have a casting vote.
7) The validity of any meeting shall not be affected by reason of the existence of any vacancy in the Commission or any defect in the appointment of any member.
Appointment of staff
(2) The Commission may accept staff on secondment or transfer from the Civil Service.
Removal of Clerk to the House
S.18 A person holding the Office of the Clerk of the House of Assembly shall only be removed by the Commission acting on an address supported by a simple majority of Members of the State House praying that he be so removed for inability to discharge his functions due to infirmity of the mind or body or any other cause or for misconduct.
(2) Officers and other staff of the House shall in respect of their Service be entitled to such pension, gratuities and other retirement benefits as prescribed in that Law.
(2) The remuneration of the independent auditor appointed under subsection (1) of this section shall be paid by the Auditor General of the State.
S.21 Subject to the Secretary’s specific powers under this Law, the Secretary shall be responsible for the policy matters of the Commission.
2) Any member of staff of the Commission who otherwise than in the normal course of his duties discloses any official information shall be guilty of an offence.
3) Any person having any information which to his knowledge has been disclosed in contravention of sub-section (1) communicates to any other person other than for the purpose of prosecution shall be guilty of an offence.
S.24 Any person found guilty under section 23 of this law, shall be punished in accordance with the Nasarawa State Civil Service Rules.
STAFF AND DEPARTMENT OF THE HOUSE
This printed impression has been carefully compared by me with the Bill, which has been passed by the Nasarawa State House of Assembly and is found by me to be true and correct copy of the Bill.
EGO MAIKEFFI ABASHE
Ag. Clerk of the House
Nasarawa State House of Assembly
I ASSENTED THIS 10TH DAY OF MARCH, 20010
ALHAJI ALIYU AKWE DOMA, OON, OOM
Nasarawa State of Nigeria