[We provide free online access to documents published on LawNigeria.com. Electronic PDF copy of this document is available for N1,000 . Electronic compendium (PDF) of the whole laws of Lagos is available. Click HERE or Email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org or text/call +234 706 7102 097 to order]
NASARAWA STATE OF NIGERIA
NASARAWA STATE CHRISTIAN PILGRIMS WELFARE BOARD
LAW 11 of 1998
NASARAWA STATE CHRISTIAN PILGRIMAGE LAW
LAW 11 of 1998
THE EXECUTIVE GOVERNOR OF NASARAWA STATE OF NIGERIA Hereby makes the following Law:
Title and commencement Date
“Member” means a member of the Board and includes the Christian;
“Pilgrim” means a person who undertake a Christian Pilgrimage;
“Christian Pilgrimage” means a journey undertaken by a pilgrim from any part of the State to France, Italy, Israel, Spain, Portugal and Egypt for the purpose of undertaking a Christian Pilgrimage and his return therefrom;
“The Board” means the Nasarawa State Christian Pilgrim’ Welfare Board, established under Section 3;
“The State” means the Nasarawa State of Nigeria;
“The Executive Governor” means the Executive Governor of Nasarawa State and includes the Governor
Establishment of the Board
(2) The Board shall have power to enter into contracts and acquire, purchase, hold, lease and mortgage, sell and dispose of property both movable and immovable and may sue and be sued in it corporate name.
Membership of the Board
(2) The Chairman and the Members shall be persons who in the opinion of the Executive Governor possess knowledge and experience of the practice of Christian religion.
(3) Every member shall hold office for a period of three years from the date of his appointment and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
(4) The validity of any proceedings of the Board shall not be affected by any defect in the appointment of a person purporting to be a Member of the Board or by any vacancy amongst the Members thereof.
Revocation of appointment of Member
(a) has been absent from three consecutive meetings of the Board without the permission of the Chairman.
(b) has become bankrupt or has made an arrangement with his creditors;
(c) Has been convicted of any offence involving or necessarily implying fraud or dishonesty and has undergone a sentence or imprisonment thereof.
(d) is incapacitated by physical or mental illness from performing his functions as a Member; or
(e) is otherwise unable or unfit to discharge the functions of a Member.
(2) The Executive Governor may revoke the appointment of such Member.
(3) A Member may resign his office as a Member by notice in writing to the Executive Governor and upon receipt and acceptance of such resignation by the Executive Governor the appointment of such a member shall be terminated.
(4) Notwithstanding the provisions of Subsection (1) the Executive Governor may at any time remove a Member from office.
Other matter relating to Members
(2) Where a Member is temporarily incapacitated by illness from performing the functions of his office or is temporarily absent from the State, the Executive Governor may appoint any person to replace the incapacitated or absent Member during the period of such incapacity or absence and all the functions of a Member shall devolve upon the person so temporarily appointed.
Appointment of Staff Agents
(2) In every Local Government Area the Board may appoint officials to perform any functions which it may from time to time direct.
Functions of the Board
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of Subsection (1), it shall be the duty of the Board to make suitable arrangement for the transport and accommodation of pilgrims and for assistance to be given to them in matters relating to immigration and currency exchange.
Board to comply with directions of the Executive Governor
(a) such sums as may be provided by the State;
(b) such sums as may be borrowed by the Board in accordance with the provisions of this Law;
(c) all sums collected or received by the Board in the execution of its powers under this Law; and
(d) all other sums or property of whatever kind which may in any manner become payable to, or vested in the Board.
Borrowing by the Board
(2) There may be attached to any consent to borrow under Subsection (1) the condition that such money shall be utilized for a specified purpose or purposes.
(3) Any person lending money to the Board shall not be bound to require whether the borrowing of money is within the power of the Board.
Application of sums received by the Board
(a) The Chief Executive of the Board may from time to time apply the funds at its disposal to the expenses of its Members in respect of their duties as members and the payment of salaries, allowances, pensions, gratuities and retiring benefits to its officers and servants in accordance with the provisions of this Law.
(b) The Chief Executive shall keep proper and usual accounts and other records in relations thereto including an income and expenditure account and balance sheet.
(c) The accounts of the Board for each year shall be audited as soon as possible but not more than three months after the end of pilgrimage each year by the Auditors to be appointed with the approval of the Executive Governor/person acting on his behalf and the fees of the auditors. Expenses generally on the audit shall be paid by the Board.
(d) As soon as the accounts of the Board have been audited as provided by Subsection (1) the Board shall send to the Executive Governor a copy of the income and expenditure account and the balance sheet with the report of the auditors thereon.
Report and estimates
(a) an account of its operations and transactions throughout such year;
(b) a statement of the accounts of the Board for that year audited in accordance with Section 16.
(2) The Board shall in each Financial Year submit to the Executive Governor for approval its estimates or revenue and expenditure for that financial year.
Application of sums received by the Board
[Board to Regulate own proceedings]
[Chairman to convene meetings of Board]
[Quorum of meeting of board]
(2) In the absence of the Chairman of the Board, the three Members constituting a quorum shall nominate one amongst them to preside over the meeting.
[Power to make Regulations]
[Members’ liability for act or default of the Board]
DATED AT LAFIA THIS 30th Day of JULY 1998
WING COMMANDER IBRAHIM ABDULLAHI
Nasarawa State of Nigeria
Find other laws of Nasarawa State, Nigeria HERE